Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Upcycled Butterfly- Flying 'Round

Bradley and I have Mommy and Me every Wednesday and Thursday on a preschool campus. I always love watching Bradley's facial expressions and sounds that he makes while we travel through the hallways and see all the "big" kids learning.



Today something especially beautiful caught my eye that I had to snap a pic of and share with all of you. From a distance it looked like a huge mosaic, but when I walked up closer and realized what it was, I loved it even more. It was a colorful butterfly (cut from a piece of scrap plywood) made out of round plastic recycled caps of all kinds.


I had so many different teachable moments fluttering through my head... This is definitely a great idea to do with kids of any age. Whether it be in school or at home, kids can take so much from this fun and creative activity. The best part is, when your masterpiece is finished, you can hang it up outside as wall art.




Life Cycle of a Butterfly
Earth Day
Grow a Butterfly Garden
Recycling
Upcycling
Counting
Sorting Colors
Sorting Size
Symmetry 
Patterns 
Textures 

The list can go and on... 


Please leave a COMMENT and SHARE with everyone any other ideas you can think of! 




Earth Day Celebrations
Please link up your Earth Day ideas to help make our families Eco Friendly Everyday!

Here's a list of all the participating blogs:

Hosts: Mommy LabsGreening Sam and Avery

Teach Preschool | Ready.Set.Read | Living at the Whitehead’s Zoo | The Outlaw Mom Blog | Rainy Day Mum |The Golden Gleam | Inspiration Laboratories | Nurture Store | Experimenting Mom | Kids Stuff World | Artsy Craftsy Mom | Creativity My Passion | Imagination Soup | Caution! Twins at play |Rockabye Butterfly | Explore Education | Getting Messy with Miss Jessy | Daria Music | Mama Smiles |Let’s Lasso the Moon | Reading Confetti | The Educators’ Spin On It | Kitchen Counter Chronicles | De tout et de rien | Our Feminist Playschool |The Wise Owl Factory Book a Day | Mommy and Me Book Club | Dirt and Boogers | Carrots Are Orange | Putti Prapancha | Toddler Approved | Imprints from Tricia | Smiling like Sunshine |


9 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!!! I thought of fractions when I saw this (16/240 are white caps, etc). Or how about a list of adjectives describing the butterfly? Oh, so fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am following the blog hop and I am your latest GFC follower as myw1ldcrazylife and NEtworked Blogs as Allyson Bossie. I hope you can drop by http://mywildcrazylife.blogspot.com and return the favor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Allyson. Following you too now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! I love it. It goes into me Tiny Tots Inspiration file.

    Found your blog at the weekend hop on 7 Kids and Counting. You can find us at www.touchofhomelearning.com and www.thehickmanfour.blogspot.com

    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sara. I'm following you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely love this! We've been hoarding bottle caps for a while to make some sort of mosaic. Your creation inspires me to make something soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like my contribution to your amazing Earth Day Celebration Blog Hop. What an amazing idea your had. I LOVE everything you do and have been following you for awhile. I'm new to the the mommy blogging scene (2 months) and only hope to gain as many followers as you have. I'd love to put you on my blog roll and vis versa? I will also give you a shout out on Facebook and Twiiter. Thanks again for finding me.

      Delete
  7. Soooo, beautiful! Thank you for sharing this with us. I am posting this on my facebook page, The Golden Gleam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, so excited that your responded. I love The Golden Gleam. I follow you all the time. I'm new to the the mommy blogging scene (2 months). I'd love to put you on my blog roll and vis versa? I will also give you a shout out on Facebook and Twiiter. Thanks again for finding me.

      Delete