Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

Book Review: How To Raise Emotionally Healthy Children

Asking a child to define the word feelings can mean many different things to different children depending on their family dynamic. I want to focus on the experience of affective and emotional states; "she had a feeling of euphoria"; "he had terrible feelings of guilt"; "I disliked him and the feeling was mutual" are just a few of the ways we use the feelings to describe our emotions. 


As a writing teacher, I always tell my 4th grade students to show me what your feelings look like, don't just tell me. Sometimes we need to remind parents of this too. The book, How to Raise Emotionally Healthy Children written by Gerald Newmark, Ph.D. provides both parents, teachers and care givers with the essential tools to enhance the lives of everyone. 


Now, I'm not just a teacher to sixty 4th grader students, I'm also a teacher and a mother to an almost 1 year old little boy... 


"Being a parent is one of the greatest joys that one can experience in life, but also one of the most difficult and anxiety-provoking responsibilities any of us will ever have. It is among the most important, challenging and complex tasks a human being has in a lifetime, yet we come to it almost totally unprepared, with little or no training. It is also apparent that once one is a parent, one is a parent forever, and frequently it doesn't get easier over time."


I found myself highlighting and bookmarking so many pages of this book as everyday reminders of the parent and teacher I strive to be. With the everyday hustle and bustle of life, sometimes we ALL need to stop, take a deep breathe and remember that everyone, no matter the age all need to feel respected, important, accepted, included and secure. This book is a guide to help meet those five critical needs of children... and parents too. I recommend this easy and practical book to anyone who has interactions with kids. This is the type of book that can change our world, one reader at at a time. 


Want to WIN a FREE signed copy of the book? It's easy! 



The Children's Project - How to Raise Emotionally Healthy Children

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the Social Media Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Justine. Following you now too.

    ReplyDelete